Cashew nuts are one of the most nutrient dense food with lowest fiber nuts, power packed with vitamins and minerals and with a goodness of antioxidants. And, it doesn’t end here, it includes vitamins E, K, and B6 along with potent minerals like copper, zinc, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, and selenium of all of which are vital for maintaining good body functions. They taste delicious and are used in Indian gravies. How many more reasons you need to include them in your diet. People across the globe are raving about the health benefits of cashew nuts, and they’re doing it for a reason. It works, as simple as it gets. From getting a drop dead gorgeous skin to lustrous hair locks and everything that comes in between. Cashew nuts have got you covered. Here’s why we’ve come up with top 10 amazing health benefits of cashews.
Congratulations, for taking a step forward to maintain your health and fitness. You’re reading this post, which means you need some changes and reading this post is the first and the most important step. I would like you to bookmark this post so that you can read it over and over until you sulk into it completely.
Cashew nuts are a one-stop shop for everything you look for from skin, hair care to whole bodily functions. And, all you need is a handful of it. Have I given you enough reasons to go nuts! Like I always mention in my post, moderation is the key. We all crave for a gorgeous skin, shiny hair, strong body functions and with one power food, you can cater to all your needs.
Cashews are a group of tasty and healthy nuts which are considered to be highly beneficial for our health. Cashew Nuts are obtained in various forms in the market- in the pristine, unsalted form with their shells and also in the form of salted cashews, either as a whole or in broken form. Cashew nuts are actually seeds which remain adhered to the cashew apple fruits. They are mostly found in places that have a tropical climate and grows abundantly in the coastal areas of India, Srilanka, Kenya, Tanzania and some places of north-eastern Brazil. We eat cashews in various ways- we eat them raw and also add the unsalted cashews in various recipes as a major ingredient.
Nutritional Importance of Cashew Nuts
Cashew Nuts are a storehouse of all the vital nutrients essential for keeping us fit and healthy.
1 ounce of raw cashew contains:
- 155 calories
- 2 g of carbohydrates
- 1 g of proteins
- 3 mg of Vitamin E
- 5 mcg of Vitamin K
- 1 mg of Vitamin B6
- 4 mg of Calcium
- 4 mg of Sodium
Apart from the above-mentioned nutrients, it also contains minute quantities of copper, magnesium, iron, phosphorus, potassium, zinc, vitamin C, Vitamin B1, Vitamin B2, Vitamin B3 etc. A cashew is also a rich source of oleic acid, mono-unsaturated fats and low amounts of polyunsaturated fats. Unlike other nuts, they do not increase the levels of cholesterol in the blood if taken in required amount daily.
10 Amazing Health Benefits of Cashews
The cashew nuts health benefits of cashews are innumerable and can keep us hale and hearty if consumed in the desired amounts on a regular basis. Let us discuss some of the health benefits of cashews in details:
- Improves our Heart Health: It has been found that regular consumption of cashew nuts can reduce the chances of heart-related ailments, hypertension by a considerable amount and even lower the risk of myocardial infarction (heart attack). Cashews reduce the quantity of LDL cholesterol, generally referred to as the “bad cholesterol”, in the blood which is responsible for the thickening of arteries carrying blood to the heart. The Monounsaturated fats (MUFA) and Polyunsaturated fats (PUFA) present in cashew nuts are considered to be highly healthy for the heart. They also increase the levels of the “good cholesterol” in the blood, the HDL cholesterol, which are quite beneficial for heart health and also reduces the triglyceride levels in the blood. Improving the heart healrt is one of the most important health benefits of cashews.
2. Role in the formation of RBC: The iron and copper present in cashews help in the formation of the red blood cells (RBC) thus strengthens the overall immune system of the body. They also help in proper circulation of blood and oxygen to the brain and heart.
3. Role in eye-sight protection: The huge amounts of antioxidants present in cashews like lutein and zeaxanthin shield the eyesight against strong light which leads to blindness in elderly people and even lower the risks of formation of cataracts in the eyes. The cashew nuts health benefits in the protection of the eyesight are not known to many.
4. Role in maintaining healthy Muscles and Nerves: The magnesium present in cashew nuts are essential in the development of bones and muscles in the body. Magnesium also aids in the functioning of tissues and organs thus helping in the proper functioning of the overall systems of the body. Magnesium also maintains the insulin level in the blood thus reducing the chances of diabetes. Magnesium present in cashews also helps in the proper functioning of the nerves, strengthens the immune system and controls the normal metabolism of our body. So these cashew nuts health benefits should not be ignored.
5. Role in Cancer and cancer treatment: Certain antioxidants present in cashews like anacardic acids, cardanols, cardols are seen to be highly beneficial for patients undergoing chemotherapy for tumors and cancers and are considered absolutely safe for them. Cashews are also believed to prevent the incidence of cancer in our body thus these benefits of cashews are great.
6. Role in Diabetes Prevention: Since cashew nuts do not contain any sugar or cholesterol, they are absolutely safe for intake by patients suffering from diabetes. They also maintain the sugar level in the blood by controlling the levels of insulin, thus prevents Type-2 Diabetes.
7. Role in Oral Health: The phosphorus and calcium present in cashews are highly beneficial for the development and functioning of bones and teeth. Protein synthesis in our body is also facilitated by phosphorus present in the cashew nuts thus improving our overall health.
8. Role in the prevention of gallstones: Gallstones are hard deposits of calcium which generally occurs in the gallbladder and can impose serious health risks if not treated at the right time. It has been seen that regular consumption of cashew nuts can minimize the formation of gallstones, thus these benefits of cashews are undeniable.
9. Role in strengthening the immune system: Immunity helps us to fight against germs and protect our body from various kinds of diseases and ailments. The zinc present in cashew nuts protects the body from the infection of microbes and also help in the healing of the damaged tissues and helps in the formation of new cells. Cashews are found to be extremely beneficial for pregnant mothers and have a great effect on the health of children by boosting their immune system.
10. Role in weight loss: Since cashews do not contain cholesterol or saturated fats, their intake will help in regulation of our body weight. Since they also control the metabolism of our body that also helps in weight regulation.
Thus the above benefits of cashews should be considered and cashew should be incorporated in our regular diet to maintain a healthy and disease-free life. Apart from the above-mentioned ones, there are many more health benefits of cashews, some of which are still under research.